Friday, October 29, 2010

INNOVATION

Word #1: BRICK

When I think brick, I think construction, building. My grandpa actually built our house in Moscow himself out of brick. I also think fireplaces and brick used as decorative material. I think of a brick fence for protection. Also, I think of the brick design used for clothing, computer savers, posters, etc. I think of the visual appeal of a brick like layout. I think of beautiful architecture made out of brick and old brick ovens used to bake bread. Also in Russia it was common that the poor classes would have an oven right in the middle of their living room and it was a huge big brick thing and they would sleep on top of it for warmth. I think of brick used as decoration in the kitchen or any part of the house as a counter or part of a wall. It also makes me think of Legos and how we used to play with red legos as kids and build things out of them.
Uses for a brick: hit someone with, paper weight, as a unit of measure (mass, volume, length), put on head to practice good posture, put in backpack for training for a hike, use as a weight (lifting weights), build a house with it (or build anything really), use as a step to reach a high spot, anchor, sculpt out of it, smash things with it, use to pave a road.

Word #2: CUP



When I think cup, I think tea party. I think of drinking tea with my family in Russia and that hot cup of coffee I drink every morning. I think of the cup of sugar you borrow from your neighbor. I think plates and silverware and how it’s nice if everything matches. I think of those annoying sayings on cups like “World’s Greatest Dad!” and getting your picture splattered on a cup. It makes me think of the cheap plastic cups used for beer pong at parties. I also think about ceramics and making cups yourself out of clay. I also think of cup size, as in bra cup size. I also think of the World Cup and sippy cups.
Uses for cup: measuring device, jewelry (make jewelry out of parts of a cup), art (break the cup into pieces and make a mosaic out of it), to drink out of, to hold pens/pencils. Hold small items like buttons or jewelry.

Combined ideas:
1. Cup with brick design on it.
2. Cup made out of brick.
3. Brick wall with mosaic design on it made out of crushed cups.
4. Using a cup’s handle as a leverage to lift bricks.
5. Making a brick wall with a little cut out to store coffee cups.
6. Making a wall out of cups in a brick like formation.
7. Using both to make art. Using cup to mix paint in, then putting paint on a brick and stamping paper to make art.
8. Attach hooks to a brick and hang cups on it.
9. Make a coaster out of a small slice of brick. Or attach a cup to a small slice of brick so that its always steady when you set it down.
10. Put a couple of cups on a brick and work on your balance, as you carry it and walk.
11. Make a cup with the phrase “Brick House” on it.
12. Carve an image of a cup into a brick.
13. Make a brick layout on the ground (like a patio layed out in brick) in the shape of a cup.
14. Make a column out of brick, with a cup on top.





These ideas are kind of lame, but I had a really hard time coming up with combinations of these two objects. Some have been done before like the first one.


1 comment:

  1. Tatyana,

    I can see that you've had hard time to combine those two separate objects. But actually you came up with some interesting and creative ideas. I especially liked "the cup made out of brick" idea. If would have been better if you suggested a viable product out of your various ideas.

    ReplyDelete