Wednesday, September 15, 2010

PERSONAZ


During the past couple of weeks in class we have been studying personas and how marketers can segment a population into groups of people with specific characteristics to better target their needs. Marketers will study information like demographics, personality, hobbies, interests, dislikes, preferences, etc. By analyzing these specific nuanced descriptions, marketers can discover the consumers' hidden motivations, behaviors, and ultimately their unfulfilled needs.


The following is a basic definition of personas:
"Personas are fictional characters created to represent the different user types within a targeted demographic, attitude and/or behavior set that might use a site, brand or product in a similar way. Personas are a tool or method of market segmentation. The term persona is used widely in online and technology applications as well as in advertising, where other terms such as pen portraits may also be used." - Wikipedia

Creating personas takes time and requires detailed analysis. The five stages covered in Chapter 2 of The Persona Lifestyle are: conception and gestation, family planning, birth and maturation, adulthood, and retirement and lifetime achievement.

Though there are several ways to develop personas and collect data on consumers to get a better insight, one of the best ways, I believe, is to let people rant about themselves. You will get a lot of unexpected disclosures and juicy details by probing.

The following is an example of a persona for someone like me. Enjoy!



































Demographics:

Age: 22
Sex: Female
Income: barely enough for food (Currently working about 10 hours a week @ $11/hr)
Heavy credit card user
In my last year at UT Austin.
Majoring in Marketing.
Minoring in English and Textiles & Apparel.
Living in West Campus in Austin, TX
Born in Moscow, Russia. Moved to Houston, TX when I was 7. Don’t consider myself an American.

Personality:

Last weekend I went to the Art Coop and bought about 10 canvases because they were on sale for 60% off even though I haven’t painted in over a year. I feel motivated once I’ve spent money on something.
I joined a cardio class through UT so that I would have extra motivation (a grade) to work out.
Yesterday (on a Tuesday) I went dancing downtown to Barbarella and danced until almost 3 in the morning even though I had my cardio class this morning.
I shop for clothing only at Buffalo Exchange or other thrift stores.
Craigslist is one of my best friends.
All of the electronics I own are gifts.
I try to make professional looking photographs with my cheap little digital camera.
I prefer to ride my bike.
I love being outdoors but I spend 90% of my day inside.
I cook. Mostly Russian food. Because I’m Russian….or salads. I love salads. Cooking your own food is cheaper and healthier.
I have been meaning to visit New York for the past 3 years but can’t save up enough money for a trip. (Sad part is it’s only like $300 bucks)
I consider myself a healthy person, but I do smoke cigarettes.
Most of my friends are male and foreign (not from US).
I blog daily about fashion, art, music, literature, etc.
My mom is my best friend.

Lifestyles:
AUDIO/VIDEO

Own an iPod

Home /Personal Computer- HP Laptop

Own an Olympus FE 340 digital camera

Use CDs to burn music for friends
Current phone can’t do anything but make calls. Not a fan of smartphones.
Watch movies for free online. Don’t own a TV. Usually watch HBO shows at friend’s place.
Love Project Runway.

OUTDOORS

Yoga
Biking (own a vintage road bike) Like to attend social bike rides around Austin.

Swimming at Greenbelt or Barton Springs

SPORTS AND FITNESS

Bicycling

Cardio class every Monday and Wednesday

Health/Natural Foods

Physical Fitness/Exercise
Dancing

THE ARTS

Cultural Arts/Events – I love to attend concerts but will not pay unreasonable amounts of money to see a band.
Favorite Music: Radiohead, Electronic, Jungle, Drum and Bass, Dubstep
Shows: a lot of my friends are DJs so I love going to local shows to dance and listen to good music.
Fine Arts/Art Shows/Galleries
Art: I love painting and drawing and attending local art shows.
Literature: I love poetry. Currently signed up for a Poetry Workshop. I love literature and going to coffee shops with friends to read.

Foreign Travel – I travel to Russia every summer. Would like to go to Europe.

HOME LIFE

Own a cat
Don’t spend too much time at home.
Like my place to be cozy and quiet.

OTHER INTERESTS

Fashion Clothing- currently interning for a Modeling Agency and am the Art Director for the UT Fashion Organization.

Design- learning how to use Photoshop and In-design to work on T-shirt and Poster designs for my organization.
Blog- I currently have a blog that update daily. Love getting feedback and posting cool new art/music/poetry.
Russian literature, music, films.
Kurt Vonnegut.
Sewing.

.

2 comments:

  1. Tatyana - I feel like I know SO much more about you now - great job on this. Thank you for making it so personal and being so open (probably a result of your experience with your other blog, which I would love to read). We'll have to chat about Project Runway at some point too. :-) Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete